Tuesday, January 5, 2010

NEW ARRIVAL: VAN GOGH - THE LETTERS


I’m a lucky, lucky duck. Waiting for me on my birthday was this nirvana. Sure, I’ve read Van Gogh’s edited letters to Theo (which, quite frankly, I found a little depressing), but I’ve never sighted any letters to other correspondents, let alone read them. But now I have the absolute ultimate collection - an ostentatious six hardback volumes, each measuring 30 x 25cm. All 2,164 pages await my perusal along with a staggering 4,300 illustrations.
I’ve read the Foreword, Introduction, The Notes and the first few letters already. The former two were heavy going - as expected - but the letters from a 19-year-old Vincent, resident in The Hague, to his brother were an absolute dream. The copious annotations make all the difference. Simple and concise explanations of what were, for the reader, vague references to family, friends and art are now fully explained.
I was initially worried that the book would destroy my perception of Vincent. Having read his letters in forms that allow the reader’s imagination to form it’s own opinion, my concern was that this edition would be too constrictive with its continual explanations. I have found just the opposite. The more detail given, the better one’s imagination can work and the clearer the perception.
I plan to read all six volumes - a little each day. In many ways, it feels like the start of a relationship. Everything is new and innocent; a 19-year-old Vincent is upbeat about his life and work. Knowing what is to come doesn’t defer interest. Instead, a world of detail and new understanding awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment