Sunday, December 13, 2009

DOLLHOUSE MINIATURES

For some people, dollhouse miniatures hold a real fascination and there’s no doubt that making good scale replicas can be an art-form. Never being one for dolls and failing to see the fascination for dollhouses, the fad has passed me by. Now, in my adult years, I can appreciate the artistry it tales to make tiny vases and chandeliers, but it just doesn’t float my boat. Never-the-less, in my quest for all things Starry Night, dollhouse miniatures cannot be ignored, especially when you see the quality of the following…

PAINTINGS


This 5.08cm (2 inch) square reproduction has me in two minds. No, the painting is not and should not be square, but the manufacturer has taken the time and trouble to morph the image to fit the frame when it would have been so much easier to chop off the sides of the painting to fit. That alone is to be commended. There’s also something pleasantly simple about having a plain dark wood frame when one is so used to seeing flashy gaudiness.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Funcky-Love__W0QQ_armrsZ1


Only 6.04 x 5.84cm (2.37 x 2.29 inches). It comes with an encouraging warning that should be on all great art: THIS PRODUCT IS NOT A TOY. IT IS AN ADULT COLLECTIBLE MINIATURE AND NOT FOR CHILDREN. The plain gold frame provides a modern air to the post-Impressionist piece that I’m not entirely comfortable with.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Mainly-Minis-Dollhouse-Miniatures__W0QQ_armrsZ1


A 1:12 scale double matted (gold and white). The picture alone is 5 x 3.5cm (1.96 x 1.37 inches) but with frame and matt: 7.7 x 6.2 (3.03 x 2.44). Including “realistic acrylic” glass, the matting softens the contemporary frame. In short, this is a really nice piece.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Kerbey-Lane-Miniatures__W0QQ_armrsZ1


Another 1:12 scale. The image itself is 6cm (2.36”) wide and 4.5cm (1.77”) high. The entire piece, including flamboyant frame, is 8 x 6.5cm (3.14 x 2.55 inches). I have to admit (with a little guilt) that I like the completely over-the-top look of this piece. If nothing else, it makes a grand statement that is the opposite of the Real Starry Night’s simply carved wood frame. A pure fantasy piece, I’m sure Vincent would be rolling over in his grave if he saw it.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Deluxe-Dollhouse-Art__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Unframed miniatures are available from some suppliers for those who want to attempt to create their own custom frame, although, a good photocopy would most likely suffice with those who have the determination.

BOOKS


At 1:12th scale, this book is just 2.9cm (1.14 inches) high and hand bound in blue linen with the photo dust jacket. This looks like - in part - Tamsin Pickeral’s Van Gogh: The world’s greatest art (2007), sans the sparse text. Sadly, this photo doesn’t show how beautiful this book really is. Where I could conceivably pull off making a frame for one of the paintings myself, I couldn’t dream of attempting this. It’s a work of art in itself.

If I didn’t already have all my favourite photos on my iPod Touch, I’d carry this around with me.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Dateman-Books__W0QQ_armrsZ1

No comments:

Post a Comment